Monday, January 3

Happy New Year everyone! A little late, I know. I've been pretty busy and in fact today is the first day I've been able to stay home in quite a while. Between my mom's surgery and all my relatives in town and the holidays it's been a little crazy. Guess I'll give you a recap of the highlights, hope it isn't too boring.

Wednesday morning I woke up early and met my mom and my aunts at the hospital. Only two were supposed to be in town, but my Aunt Vicki (I was named after her) and Uncle Ted drove from Louisiana and surprised us. I was so glad to see them all! The day at the hospital went really fast actually, I barely had any time to sit and knit between seeing my mom every few hours (she spent lots of time getting tests taken and waiting in the pre-op area) and visiting with so many people (in the afternoon there were 7 of us there). It was nice that the time went fast though because without so many distractions I think I would have gone insane worrying. After surgery I got to see her and it was really hard because she looked really pale to me (though my aunts said she looked pretty good considering what she'd just been through) and it was just weird to see my all-powerful mom looking like that. I guess I'm pretty lucky that this is the first time I've had to deal with the fact that she is indeed human. So after a while everyone else left and I spent the night with my mom. It wasn't as bad as I expected. The reclining chair wasn't terribly uncomfortable and I was able to get a little sleep. I actually didn't mind helping my mom get her pillows just right. The next day the she was doing really really well and we left early afternoon. She's been doing remarkably well ever since and I'm just so glad the whole thing's over with. There's still the possibility of chemo or hormone therapy, but I know we can get through it. I know I keep saying it, but thanks again for everyone thoughts and prayers. I was remembering all of you and your support while I was waiting and it made me feel good.

So since then I've just been spending lots of time with family. Aunt Mary Ellen and Uncle Greg got into town night before last and I can't wait to get more of a chance to visit with them tomorrow. I went to dinner and a brunch with my family on my dad's side, which was a nice break from the craziness at my mom's house. And a nice break from their health food lol. Jaime has been amazing through all of this. He's come by to see me after work every day and he's been very patient with my not being home. I know he misses having me around and sometimes he gets a little antsy for me to get back, but I think it's sweet. It's hard to believe that we've spent months apart from each other several times in our relationship. Now we can't stand to be apart for one night!

So life is (almost) back to normal. I'll still spend some time at my mom's to0 visit with the remaining relatives. And my mom still needs help with some things like driving and such, though I think she's being spoiled a little too much for her own good :)

And finally, I'll present my list of New Year's Resolutions. I know, resolutions never work blah, blah, blah. Maybe not, but I'm nothing if not one for tradition.

1. I will be more honest and authentic. I will not tell people what I think they want to hear or what will make my life easier (or so I think). I'll say what's on my mind and not play games with Jaime (he's thrilled about this one, he hates when women say one thing but mean something else and expect men to know that lol). I will not hide what I do or who I am to make other people happy.

2. I will at least start a sweater for myself this year. I'm a little afraid of the fit issue and getting up the money for so much yarn. I'm a big girl and that equals big yardage lol.

3. I will make a point of reading more books especially during school when I tend to drop my reading altogether.

4. I will attend at least the vast majority of my classes this year and will put forth something resembling effort.

5. I will get out of this stupid tiny apartment this year.

6. I will finish what I have lovingly nicknamed "The Never-ending Cross Stitch of Doom."

Well, that's about all I'm willing to commit to at this time. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Vicki!

    I'm so glad to hear that your mom is doing well. My thoughts really are with you all -- just because I don't know you outside the Internet, doesn't mean that your situation goes unnoticed! :)

    Best!
    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki, I'm so glad to hear that your mother came out of surgery well. You've been in my thoughts this last week. I think there are a lot of positive helping vibes running through the air right now with all of the world tragedies and personal tragedies. Positive vibes going through the air are always good. I hope your mom continues to do well.

    Oh and about one of your resolutions, going to most of your classes - I know that there will be one cold day where you just can't get yourself up the hill and you'll think, I'll just skip this one class. :) I remember KU in the spring semester of 1996 when it was really cold, let's just say, the professors were lucky that anyone showed up. But honestly, I think you have good resolutions, attainable is the key. I don't do resolutions, I do goals, so if by the end of the year I haven't reached the goal, at least, I can say, I'm working on it. :)
    Take care,
    erica
    http://erica-lee.org/knit/blog/archive.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to hear that about your mom. That is great news!

    ReplyDelete